Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Wrap-up: 52-Week Savings

Our Meager Savings:
Ignore the ugly glue stains on the bottom!
Well I sucked at the savings plan! We ended the year with about $7 in the kitty! Where did we go wrong?

The idea is to put a $1 in the first week, $2 in the second week and so on, until you reach $52 in the last week. At the end, you’re supposed to end up with $1,378.

From the weekly markings, it looks like we did well for about three months, and then fell off. One issue is we attempted to keep up two plans – one for the Teen and one for me, which means me contributing the funds for both. At this time, my daughter suggested we combine and we did.


The biggest problem? First, it started as making change for larger bills, and then we began to “borrow” for special outings. Soon, we stopped putting in, and the rest is history.

So how did you do? Anyone succeed? Who’s going to try again in 2016? Maybe we should use a container that can’t be opened!

If you’re interested, here’s a cool Pinterest board with various charts:


BTW – In general, I don’t “suck” at saving … maybe just this one!

Until next time,

Louisa Bacio


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, we had the same issues, borrow for special outings, money in between paychecks for the farmer's market, etc. Are you going to try again this year, Louisa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and YES! I liked it -- thought it was fun. I found what looked to be a neat article about alternatives to the plan that worked better, but it wanted me to answer three personal questions before reading the whole thing and I clicked out, LOL.

      So sticking with this one!

      Delete