Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Distractions ...

Distractions from life can come in many different forms. Whether it's distractions from life itself, such work taking precedence over time with children, or distractions from writing.

A dog barking
A telephone ringing
An email waiting
A saw charging

As I write this post, we're undergoing an elaborate remodel. What started as a simple installing new tile in the kitchen has resulted in completely gutting the kitchen and hall bath. I'm located outside, in a trailer, hiding out. The neighbors have asked if we're going on a vacation. No, just a vacation from life.

Inside, I can hear a radio blaring, and an electric screwdriver (at least from the sound of it) steadily drilling a hole ever few seconds.

Above, an airplane flies by. Someone whistles.

Distractions abound. But, I continue to focus, reveling in the alone time and the silence.

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I see a red spot moving. A lady bug has found its way inside. It's no place for it to live. After coaxing it onto a tissue, I carry it outside and place it on the rose bushes, stopping to smell their blooming scent of spring.

Ah, distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment