It’s one of those nights. Don’t ask why. A confluence of busy, stressful events, too much alcohol that’s worn off and wacky hormones. Although I went to sleep at a normal time, midnight, I woke two hours later, and hello! There’s no going back.
Believe me, I’ve tried. Twice.
What do you do when you can’t sleep?
1) Lay awake in bed watching the clock.
2) Write witty blog posts – you know, late at night when the mind-filter turns off …
3) Catch up on Words with Friends, but then no one else is awake to play back.
4) Read, which may be too productive. Too bad I don’t have an old botany textbook laying around. If I recall from my undergrad days, that always put me to sleep.
5) Curse the snoring husband for sleeping so well.
6) Research weird things such as “lifespan of a hamster” and “sexing a guinea pig.”
7) Watch your children sleep, and wonder how many times they can turn around through the night.
8) Disturb the dogs, who want to know WTH is up with you.
9) Count the potential hours you have until you’re actually required to be awake for the day.
10) Plan world domination, but something tells me you need to be better rested for that.
11) Think about things to do when you can’t sleep.
Something tells me that I’d have plenty of time to keep this list going. Too bad my attention span isn’t that great at 4:35 a.m.